Monday, September 17, 2007

My portion, my cup, my lot

Psalm 16:5 says-6 says,
LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.

I found myself considering my portion. According to Leviticus 2:2, what do i have that i can give back to the Lord; what is my sacrifice? what is my offering?
My cup - What is it that i drink of? What is my cross to bear?
My lot - Where is it that my boundary lines have fallen? What is my inheritance? Can i be pleased? Am i satisfied?

Then came the revelation,
Although I can find good answers, (great answers) for all of the above - (if i put my New Covenant lenses on), what brings me peace is not my portion, my cup nor my lot, but a trust in the one whom assigns it. Verse 2 says, I said to the LORD, "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing." The beginning of verse 5 says, LORD, you have assigned me my portion... My portion, my cup and my lot have been assigned; secured, written, documented and stamped!
My cup is one of salvation; salvation from my cup! I drink of the Lord because he drank the cup of my sin on my behalf. Therefore my calling and my commission is of the Lord and of His cup and not my own.
My lot should have been handed down according to the name of my ancestors, but then i received a new name. My lot, my inheritance comes from the Lord. Not just my eternal inheritance but my earthly inheritance. Life abundantly now!

With New Covenant lenses, my perspective changes. Take God out of the picture and it's easy to find fault in your portion, it's easy to find disaster in your cup, it's easy to see lack in your inheritance. But with Jesus in the story, what I see, what I have and what I receive is pleasant. My Inheritance is delightful.

Two more thoughts .
(1) My portion, my cup and my inheritance still take their place with me in the world.
However, Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
(Psalm 23:4-6)
(2) Although my inheritance is now, my inheritance in all it's fullness is yet to come.
Ps Steve Kelly delivered a great preach Sunday morning. Genesis 1:5 says, And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day. For us the day begins with light and ends with Darkness. For the Lord, the day begins in darkness and ends in light.
The end of the day, the end of the season, the end of the valley is better than the beginning.

The best is yet to come.

No comments: