Thursday, November 29, 2007

Terah dies is darkness

Interesting that Terah was on his way to Canaan (Genesis 11:31). The land was not yet promised as an inheritance, that comes in the next chapter, but perhaps there was something inside of Terah that was supernaturally leading him there? So why did he settle and die at Haran?
We know that Haran was the name of Terah's son whom had just recently died.
Perhaps he couldn't let go of his son's death? Perhaps the pain of death in the past hindered his ability to receive new life in the future? Perhaps he settled too early? Perhaps he settle for far less that God had in store for him?
Interesting that in the original Hebrew, the spelling of the town 'Haran' is slightly different to that of Terah's son, but even more interesting that the town of Haran was a place where the moon-god was worshiped. We all know that the moon is visible predominantly when it's dark. Perhaps in his spirit, Terah was walking through the valley of the shadow of death, but only to stop right in the middle of it!
We know that Haran was a man that served many gods. Perhaps when you serve a god a darkness, the darkness is where you will feel most at home? 'The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it' (John 1:4-5), but when you serve the God of light...your only option is life, 'In him was life, and that life was the light of men' (John 1:4). No doubt important the note that God is not just the God of light...but that He is light, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12; John 1:9 says 'The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world'
Perhaps God was leading Terah to the promised land, but he only got as far as the place where his heart would allow him to go no further?

Lord i pray that my heart would not settle in the valley of the shadow of death. I pray that the things that have died in my life would not be the things that hinder me from walking in 'life' toward the promises that you have set before me.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart' (Jeremiah 29:11-14)

1 comment: