Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Lamp unto my feet

The Lord reminded me of Psalm 119:105 this morning whilst I was running 'Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path', (5:10am by the way…yes it was dark and yes the street lights did help :-) As I was running, I could see the path in front of me, but only as far as my next step. So I began to think...perhaps the lamp of God's word, sometimes, lights just enough for 1 step and not necessarily with too much more in view?
When your driving a car and your in thick fog, you're likely to slow right down & if its bad enough you'll even consider stopping and waiting till the fog clears. But as simple a revelation (reminder) as this is, God spoke to me again of the need for faith, for trust in God's word - but a trust that moves...faith without works is dead… I don't think we're called to sit and wait for the fog to clear. If we do I suspect we'll still be waiting until Jesus comes back! But how much of the stepping is trial and error? I think we too often step and only look to the word when we've discovered we've stepped into the wrong area...so how now do we get out...? The word only shines light on the pathway if it's alive in our life. Reminds me of a preacher firing up about people using the analogy of the bible being like a street directory...but don't we only ever pull that out when we're lost? or a cook book...but don't we only pull that out when someone comes over for dinner and we want to impress them...?

No comments: