Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Blessing of Reconciliation

Today’s revelation came from Genesis chapter 3. In chapter 2 of Genesis, Eve is deceived, and Adam then sins. God comes to find them, he approaches Adam, and Adam directs him to Eve. God approaches Eve, and Eve directs him to the serpent. God speaks to the serpent and says this,
"Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals! You will crawl on your belly and you will eat dust all the days of your life. And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel." (Genesis 3:14).
God then speaks to Eve and he says this,
'I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children....’ (Genesis 3:16).
I found it interesting to note that the Lord spoke death to the sin (represented by the serpent) but he spoke life to the sinner (Genesis 3). I'm not denying or overlooking the consequences that Adam and Eve and therefore all of humanity incurred, however my attention was drawn to the term 'childbearing' in particular. In the moment of rebuke, of punishment and of consequence there came a reiteration of the blessing,
"Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it…' (Genesis 1:28)
The beginning of chapter 4, the first thing to be recorded after God had dealt with the fall,
'Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, "With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man." (Genesis 4:1).
I sensed revelation in the voice of Eve when she spoke these words (from the page), perhaps the first 'post fall revelation'; these are the two things I was created for (1) To be in relationship and in partnership with God and (2) To bear fruit.
John 15:16 says, You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
Praise the Lord for the Blessing of Reconciliation.

No comments: