Thursday, August 23, 2007

But Martha was distracted

Another simple yet significant revelation;
But Martha was distracted... (Luke 10:40)
John Maxwell would cause me to ask three questions (1) What is required of me? (2) What brings me the greatest return? & (3) What brings me the greatest reward? (and if the answers to questions 2 & 3 line up with the answer to question 1, you know your on a winner)
3 great questions…providing you can settle on an answer, that would then allow you to get on with the Job. However it's an easy reality to fall into; never getting on with the job because your either still debating within yourself as to what the correct answers are, or discovering that the correct answers don't line up with your current job description!
Interesting that Martha believed that she had the right answer, yet when she attempted to get on with the Job, she only discovered frustration.
Interesting that the answer seemed to be even more the right answer because the job at hand was that of serving Jesus…yet it still brought about frustration.
How often do we get distracted - only to find that our distraction comes from within the task of 'serving Jesus'!
Having spent 5 years in ministry I can testify to the danger of moving from an intimate relationship with God toward a diligent and sacrificially ordered routine of 'serving Jesus'.

Here's Jesus response to Martha's frustration, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better... (John 10:41)

So when it comes to my relationship with God (my most important job description...)
What is required of me? To stop, to sit at the Lord's feet and to listen to what he says (v39).
What brings me the greatest return? To stop, to sit at the Lord's feet and to listen to what he says (v39).
What brings me the greatest reward? To stop, to sit at the Lord's feet and to listen to what he says. (v39).

No comments: