Sunday, August 12, 2007

Peace be with you.

1 Peter 5:6-7 says Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
I found it interesting to read these two verses together. It makes sense to Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God that he might lift you up in due time. It makes sense to cast all your anxiety on him for he cares for you. But then came the revelation. I wonder if we learn to accept anxiety. Everyone gets anxious right…even Christians! If someone walked up to me in an anxious moment and said, 'Andrew, your not living in humility' I'd wonder what on earth they were talking about. However, the fact that I'm anxious clearly illustrated that fact that I've failed to hand over my cares to Him (whatever they may be at the time) and therefore function out of a position of humility. If I had already done so, why would I need to be anxious anymore? Perhaps thats why Paul says, Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Phil 4:6-7). Humility would then equal peace.

No comments: